We launched the Madison chapter of the Boomerang Bags on Earth Day 2019.
Six sewists met at the Electric Needle to discuss what we can do to increase the discussion around single use plastic and to create items with textiles that would otherwise have gone to the landfill that are multi-use alternatives to the common plastic bag.
I have chosen to start this chapter because I felt like there would be like minded people in the Madison Area who would like to work together to make a difference. I hope that our chapter helps to build community as well as diverting textiles from the landfill and at the same time reducing the use of single use plastic.
Join us for our events - we will be prepping materials and possibly even stitching bags:
Friday Afternoon - May 31st from 1 - 3
Thursday Evening - June 13th from 6 - 8
Friday Afternoon - June 28th from 1 - 3
We have identified that we need volunteers to:
- Source textiles that were destined for the landfill - do you enjoy talking on the phone?
- Transport donated textiles to the shop - do you enjoy driving?
- Sort and prep textiles - do you enjoy laundry?
- Cut and press textiles for bag production - do you enjoy measuring or ironing?
- Stitch bags - do you enjoy sewing?
- Share bags within the community and start the conversation about single use plastic - do you enjoy giving?
The Electric Needle is committed to supporting the Madison Boomerang Bag group by:
- Being a drop off location for textile and monetary donations
- Making space available for storing textiles
- Making creative space available for project meet ups - planning meetings, prep and sewing spaces.
- Hosting this webpage
- Distributing bags
- Using wholesale purchasing to make donations go further for thread, needles and other items as the group sees fit.
To contact us please use MadBoomerangBags@gmail.com
Thank you for your time and interest. We hope to see you there.